There are numerous advantages that lithium batteries have over lead acid batteries with respect to recreational vehicles such as caravans, motorhomes and camper trailers. These can be summarised as:
- Weight – lithium batteries are half the weight as lead acid equivalents which is important in an RV. A 100Ah lead acid battery weighs around 30kg, whereas our 100Ah lithium battery is 15kg.
- Depth of discharge (DOD) – lithium batteries can be safely discharged to 80% DOD compared to typically 50% DOD for lead acid batteries. This means for a 100Ah battery you have 80Ah available to use with a lithium battery and only 50Ah with a lead acid.
- Constant voltage – lithium batteries discharge at more or less a constant voltage until they reach around 80% DOD, after which the voltage begins to drop off. Compare this to a lead acid battery where voltage begins to drop as soon as power is drawn. This means that with a lithium battery, low voltage disconnects to protect appliances are not activated before the battery is empty like they are with a lead acid battery.
- Cycles – lithium batteries last a lot longer than lead acid batteries, in that you can cycle them more times before they need to be replaced. Our lithium batteries are rated at 2,000 cycles times at 80% DOD compared to a lead acid battery at 500 cycles.
- Power output – our 100Ah lithium batteries can discharge at up to 250A which is made possible by our BMS. Many other 100Ah lithium batteries used in RV’s limit you to 100A. 100Ah AGM batteries struggle to provide even 100A. Being able to discharge at 250A allows the RV owner to run high power appliances such as microwaves, kettles, coffee machines etc.